Time Magazine shortlist for person of 2016 were as follows
- Donald Trump
- Simone Biles
- Hillary Clinton
- CRISPR Scientists
- Recep Tayyip Erdoğan
- Nigel Farage
- The Flint Whistleblowers
- Narendra Modi
- Vladimir Putin
- Mark Zuckerberg
Winner: Donald Trump
My own list would include Trump, Farage but also
- Andrew Holness – Caused a huge shock at the polls. Reinvented his leadership in time to win Jamaica’s general elections and regained the PM gig.
- Elaine Thompson – Despite the achievements of Usain Bolt, women’s track sprinting is far more competitive. Thompson’s sprint double win in Rio was some performance.
- Wikileaks team – Provided a real insight into US campaign politics and parts of the media.
- Mohammad Javad Zarif – Iran’s foreign minister has managed wins deals (+millions in cash) from the US and EU.
- President John Magufuli (Tanzania) Known as the “bulldozer” has caused a revolution in the governance of his nation.
- Claudio Ranieri – Managed Leicester City to win the English Premier League. A major miracle.
- Kellyanne Conway – Trumps campaign manager. First woman to be campaign manager of a winning Presidential team.
- Tulsi Gabbard– Democrat congresswoman stood up to her party when she saw they were manipulating the primaries against Bernie Sanders. Rising star. Should Bernie back her for 2020?
- Sadiq Khan -A Muslim elected London’s Mayor was a huge statement.
- International Consortium of Investigative Journalists on the release of the Panama Paper that exposed tax haven actions by the wealthy and well connected.
Winner: Claudio Ranieri – Leicester was 5000/1 to win.
Biggest Falls from Grace in 2016
- David Cameron – BREXIT’s first casualty.
- President Dilma Roussef – Kicked out by her colleagues in the year when Brazil hosted the Olympics.
- Hillary Clinton – Lost what should have been an easy route to the White House. Books are being written.
- Governor Chris Christie – An early favourite to be Trump’s running mate. Bridgegate scandal has diminished his standing within the Trump camp.
- Lisa Hanna, MP – Once one of the more popular figures in Jamaica’s People’s National Party. In 2016 she became one of the most vilified by many of her own party colleagues. Her party leadership aspirations now looks impossible. For now.
- Jeremy Corbyn (British Labour Party) – Needs to transform his leadership into a more aspirational, dynamic and tougher style. Should leave the protests and angernomics to others. 2017 is a big year for Corbyn.
- England at the European Football Championships and getting knocked out by Iceland.
- The deaths of so many who influenced my cultural & social interests e.g. Billy Paul, Caroline Aherne, Prince, Bob Cranshaw, Robert Vaughan, Glenn Frey, Carlos Alberto, Johann Cruyff, Muhammad Ali, Prince Buster, Bobby Hutcherson, Gwen Ifill, Rod Temperton, Bill Nunn, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake. Thanks for shaping some of my passions.
“There might have been things I missed But don’t be unkind” – From the Beginning by Emerson, Lake & Palmer,