It’s been announced that Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are planning to make a film based on the current FIFA bribery scandals. One hopes they make a comedy as that’s the appropriate genre that best portray the FIFA capers .
If I had access to Jack Warner’s numerous bank accounts I would opt for Britain’s Armondo Iannucci to make such a film. Iannucci has been the man behind comedy classics like “In the Loop”, “The Thick of It” “Veep” and “Alan Partridge”.
As for the cast members
- FIFA boss Sepp Blatter would be perfect for an actor such as Danny Devito. But Simon McBurney (Archdeacon in “Rev”) or Denmark’s Kim Bodnia (“The Bridge”) are suitable candidates.
- Jack Warner – former CONCACAF chief & John Oliver’s biggest fan- could be an ideal role for someone like Delroy Lindo. Samuel L Jackson would add something to Warner’s character. There is also the wonderful Rudolph Walker.
- Wil Johnson and Karl Collins could play Warner’s sons Daryll & Daryan.
- Wendell “Bunk” Pierce or Chi McBride could play the US based Cayman born Jeffrey Webb – another former FIFA big wig awaiting extradition from Switzerland to the US.
- The Qatari players in the World Cup winning bid could be played by the likes of Omid Djalili, Nasser Memarzia, Riz Ahmed..
- Chuck Blazer – the man with the wire and feline penthouse- could be played by John Goodman or Delaney Williams.
Given all the protagonists caught in FIFA sting are so far men the female characters for such a film are limited unless you stretch poetic license. But the role of US Attorney General Loretta Lynch is made for Marie Jean-Baptiste (Without Trace).
The other female supporting character could be Trinidad’s & Tobago’s Prime Minister the colourful Kamla Persad-Bissessar. She has had a love, hate, just-go-Jack relationship with her former political ally Warner. These days Warner is dead set on a revengeful quest to bring the PM down with his revelations.
Let’s hope the Affleck/Damon duo produce an entertaining film. Let comedy win over the 90 minutes.